Oil Spill Detection System
The tool making your oil spill contingency more effective and reliable – day and night
Remote sensing of oil spills has become an integral part of oil spill contingency around the world:
• Surveillance, giving early spill warning
• Verification and characterization, supporting your decision on how to respond
• Aid for navigation, for day and night operation and oil recovery efficiency
The Miros OSD™ system is used from offshore installations, vessels or shore based stations, either as a standalone system or as a part of a sensor network. Data available from Miros OSD™ is an essential contribution to the common operating picture. While satellite and airborne systems cover a larger area, the Miros OSD™ System provides continuous local surveillance. Recovery operations can be continued, even in darkness and when no aerial data are available.
Oil Spill Detection by
Radar and Thermal Imaging
Miros offers a radar based OSD solution, which is thoroughly tested in oil-on-water exercises since 2004. Miros OSD™ has successfully guided response operations in real oil spill incidents, and has a rapidly growing customer base around the world.
The radar based system has fully automated detection, giving oil spill position, tracking and measurement of drift. Miros OSD™ can operate in nearly all visibility conditions on a 24 hour basis, and has become an essential tool for navigating the recovery vessel and boom efficiently towards the oil slick.
Using thermal (IR) imaging, identification of the thickest part of the oil slick becomes available. This contributes when estimating the magnitude of the spill and enables targeting the response effort to the part of the slick where the majority of oil is found.
• Early and automated oil spill detection.
• Oil spill area, drift direction and speed.
• Wave, wind and surface current data.
• Operation in darkness, fog and poor visibility.
• Infrared camera for manual oil detection
• Export to electronic chart systems.
• Small-sized system computer.
• Integrated video digitizer, easy to install.
• Connects to existing marine X-band radar.
• Use of existing gyro, GPS and wind sensors.
AREAS OF USE
• Stand-by and oil recovery vessels.
• Coast guard vessels.
• Drill rigs, production platforms and FPSOs.
• Ports, refineries and VTS radars.